Tuesday, February 8, 2011

GARY MOORE - Dead at 58

As a metal fan I was always a fan of guitarists. As a fan of guitarists I was really into virtuosos until I found out I could get much more joy out of masturbating myself instead of seeing other people masturbate. As a teenager, after hearing Still Got the Blues on South American radio, Gary Moore became my favorite guitarist. Here was a guitar hero who for once service the music instead of himself.

My admiration for the Irish blues man grew larger once I got into Thin Lizzy and realized Mr. Moore had been part of the greatest Irish band to have ever existed. 

After 1992's After Hours, Moore's popularity waned in the new world and I Iost sight of his work. More recently I have written badly about his early work with his band Skid Row. You can find the post here.

Just a couple of hours ago I was moved after I learned Gary Moore died in Spain on February 6th. As of February 8th, his Wikipedia page rules a heart attack as cause of death while early reports that appeared in Britain's Sun tabloid mentioned, 'choked to death on his own vomit after a night of hard drinking', which prompted outrage from the musician's fans. Whatever the cause of death, it is a tragedy that a great soulful musician has been robbed from us at such a relatively young age.

Thanks for the music Gary Moore.

No comments: