Thursday, April 7, 2011

KRUIZ Rocks Your Gym Socks Off!!!


I used to wait for hours for this video to come on a pirate TV station in South America. They would play it about once every two weeks, somewhere in the middle of the heavy metal block, which usually lasted about 45 minutes and tended to rotate the same ten videos over and over and over. The image and the audio quality was fucked. Someone who worked at the pirate TV UHF station had probably taped it in VHS while on a trip to Europe and would occasionally sandwich it between tedious repetitions of Twisted Sister's classic "You Can't Stop Rock n' Roll" and Dio's "Holy Diver". Kruiz was on a different level though. They were thrashy but not thrash. They were fast, but I always thought of speed metal as faster and less melodic. 

I was hooked on Kruiz from the first time I saw the video. I had no idea who they were or where they were from. I knew they were named Kruiz because we can see the band's name displayed in the video but I was never able to get a hold of this record. Back then, I consumed Spanish metal magazines like an idiot (issues would make it down south eleven months too late), and never, ever saw any coverage of Kruiz. 

I love absolutely everything about this song; from its upbeat tempo to its catchy chorus and nifty solos. And I love everything about this video, from the vocalist's hairdo, foolishly disguising his thinning hair all the way to his extra large, knee high gym socks. Kruiz fucking rocks! 

No comments: