Saturday, October 16, 2010

Worst Cover of the Year Award Goes to ...FORBIDDEN! Second Runner Up is MONSTER MAGNET!

Maybe cover artwork is not the artform it once was. What with all this fucking digital age, kids only care about compressed music. Oh yeah, and it's got to be free too. But anyway, I got into music because my dickish older brother had a pretty decent collection of vinyl that included records by Slayer, Metallica, Celtic Frost and Iron Maiden. As a kid I spent countless hours waiting for him to leave the house just so that I could stare at these sleeves for hours and I could spin that wonderful scent-less black acetate.  Partly my love for metal came from that, what could now be considered blown up artwork with wonderful details, paintings in which one could get lost trying to decipher and to find the smallest details. 

But now, who is going to spend time staring at Photoshop artwork in their Ipods or MP3 players? No one, that's who. Even in you computer, even in your giant monitor, how much time have you spent staring at record covers?

But anyway, times have changed. And if only a couple of weeks back I was surprised to see that the new Monster Magnet record, Mastermind, boasts a Photoshop cover that shits all over our beloved bullgod... 

 ...now I am surprised to see that semi legendary California thrash metal band Forbidden have upped the ante as far as shitty artwork is concerned. Sure, none of their previous albums had artwork that one would be particularly proud of, but with their comeback Omega Wave they have just gotten everything they could have gotten wrong. I did a quick search and ended up in a Blabbermouth post that revealed this artwork to the public. You have got to read the comments, most of which actually praise this turd. Personally, I have got to say, this is my candidate for worst record cover of the year.


And for those who doubt the objectivity of handling awards this early in the year let me say with all confidence that even if we were only in April we would still be quite certain that this record takes the cake home. This cover sucks!

No comments: