Monday, January 17, 2011

My Teeth Hurt - Fuck COAST DENTAL

A few weeks ago I started getting this awful pain in the back of my mouth, pretty close to my jaw actually. I was pretty sure I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled as I have gotten to that age where everything starts going wrong and I knew most of teeth were in good condition because I go to the dentist about once a year. Now, I dread going to the dentist just like any other normal human being but after enduring the pain for a couple of weeks I gave up and hit the closest dentist pratice to my house. Unfortunately, the closest practice to my house was Coast Dental. Beware people of Florida and Georgia, these scumbags have locations in both states. 

Coast Dental is an absolute rip off. They treat people like cattle and these so-called dentists walk around their centers with nothing to do but look at x rays and joke around with their assistants.  On the day of my appointment I got off work and went in on a Tuesday morning. The chubby lady at the front desk was actually quite gracious. Anyway, they quickly took x rays of my teeth which hurt like a bitch because the assistant had no idea what she was doing and kept on shoving that plastic tube against my gums. She apologized like a hundred times but that didn't diminish the pain.  Then the dentist came in, looked at the x rays and told the assistant to set up another appointment with the doctor that does tooth extraction. He sat with me for a minute and told me that based on the x ray all there was to do was take out a wisdom tooth which was laying horizontally underneath the gum level. Then he walked out and started pacing around like he wanted to leave. His name is Dr Katz. Fuck him.

One thing that makes the treatment at Coast Dental annoying is that the doctors are shifted around their different offices on a daily basis, so it is literally impossible to have two doctors with different specialties look at you on the same day.

On my second visit to Coast Dental a few days later I was greeted by this beefy dude with hands like he had just mawn his lawn. I was glad he said I did not need have my wisdom teeth removed. The thought of having those fat and nasty fingers inside my mouth made me nauseous. Instead, he prescribed mouthwash. Yes, mouthwash. He then said I would need to schedule a third appointment with the first doctor to have a cavity fixed. Apparently the x ray was now showing work that needed to get fixed. I was pissed by then. Two appointments. No real work done.

On my third appointment, to my surprise I was given an oral cancer exam and more x rays. The assistant did not know what she was doing. When I asked her about the results for the oral cancer exam, her response was an assuring, 'the doctor did not say anything so I am assuming you do not have cancer'. I had already warned her that i was pissed and that I was not leaving until I had some real work done on my teeth. Then came Dr Katz again who once again looked at the x rays but now suggested to have a lot more work done besides the cavity. Enough for about five more appointments. Then, he got up, walked away and started pacing around like a kid who's waiting to be saved by the bell.

Then of course, another dentist was sent in. She was going to talk about deep cleaning and payment plans but before she said anything I told her that I did not care if my teeth looked like I was English that I just wanted to have the cavity fixed and to get the fuck out. She was taken aback and walked out quietly. For real, when you take your car to a mechanic and ask them to check the tires do they fucking look at the engine and produce a list of things you need to have checked out right away? If so, fuck mechanics too.

A minute later another dentist came in and he told me my options about the cavity; have the tooth extracted or have a root canal. I asked him when could this be done and he said, 'you have to set another appointment'. Unbelievable, Coast Dental needs to be investigated. Absolute rip offs.  Fuck them.

By the way I am neither of the three people in the image. Not the assistant with the enlarged cranium nor the Asian children. I just added this image because I thought it looked stupid and it was the first image to pop up after a search of 'at the dentist.'

1 comment:

The Path Less Traveled Records said...

Get the tooth pulled and don't get a root canal. It's not worth it. They can pull a tooth in less than a minute and it's much cheaper.